Monday, April 09, 2007

A Sad End to the Hockey Season in Phoenix

Back on October 8, 2006 I posted a little something about sports in Phoenix. Well, unfortunately some of my hopes were dashed. But, here are the highlights of this years' sporting season.

1. As I predicted, the Arizona Cardinals were terrible. They did bring me some joy though. I watched most of the games that were on TV -- primarily for the joy of seeing them discover new ways of losing. I noticed that at times, my faith in them losing wained, BUT, if I kept hope alive long enough, and was patient, they eventually found a way to lose. So, all-in-all, I was satisfied with the NFL season as it pertained to Arizona.

2. The Phoenix Coyotes were a major disappointment. I looked at their off-season signings and had hope they would at least turn the corner and make the playoffs. But alas, they essentially stunk. We went to a couple of games -- one was actually quite good -- but as the season progressed, and they continued to play poorly, my desire to spend money to see bad hockey decreased. I am beginning to have my doubts about Wayne Gretzky as coach and judge of talent. I'm willing to give him another year, but if the end is result is the same as this season, I will join the growing chorus of people who would like to see new leadership. So, now I am left cheering for the Canadian teams to win Lord Stanley's Cup. Vancouver, Calgary and Ottawa. I'll cheer for Western Canadian teams first. But if it ends up being a Canadian team (even the Ottawa Senators) versus a US team, there is no doubt where my loyalties lie. The Cup belongs in Canada.

3. The Phoenix Suns and Steve Nash are wonderful. He should be MVP again -- but I suspect he won't get the award. Nash is not only a brilliant player, but he is team man, makes everyone around him better, and has humility rarely seen in NBA players. The truly great players know how to stay humble and work hard. The fakes don't. The Suns have a shot at winning it all. I'll be watching and cheering for them. I'll cheer for anyone but the Lakers and Pistons.

4. Arizona Diamondbacks? Who cares! I certainly don't.

5. I'll watch the Toronto Blue Jays. And, I'll cheer for anyone who plays against the Yankees, any team Barry Bonds is on, and the Red Sox. Baseball really doesn't get interesting until October and the run to the World Series.

6. Can you believe that more than 184,000 people paid to watch the World Curling Championships in Edmonton, Canada this year! Curling is actually fun to play and can get interesting to watch if you know what is happening. Give me curling over baseball or golf any day of the week (and twice on Sundays).

Well, that's all for now folks.

No comments: