Thursday, February 09, 2006

Wayne Gretzky

I REALLY, REALLY hope that Wayne is not involved in the whole illegal gambling scheme -- though it is hard to believe that with his wife betting $500,000 in just a few weeks, he wasn't aware of it. I watched Wayne while he was playing for the Edmonton Oilers -- when he was scoring 90 goals a year. The greatest offensive player hockey has ever seen (though I still think Gordie Howe was the greatest player of all time). When he came to Phoenix to help run the Coyotes I was thrilled. Someone who was a gentleman, had integrity, an all-around good-guy and had hockey smarts running the team. There was hope that in a few years Phoenix could be a Stanley Cup contender. Now, I don't know. I feel very sad. I hope that he truly is not involved. I hope he does not ruin his own reputation, that of the NHL, and that of Canada in the Olympics coming up.

No comments: